Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The mission of the modern school library

What is the mission of the modern school library and how do the mission's relate to the common beliefs? After class discussion, and your thoughts last week how have your reactions to the common beliefs changed (maybe they haven't). If you had to write a mission statement what do you think would be important to include?

After reading numerous mission statements for various school libraries, I began to consider why it was that none of the school libraries I have worked in had a mission statement. At one of the schools where I used to work, it felt like we would create a new school-wide mission statement almost every year. Nothing was ever done with the mission statement, and so the creation of it didn't feel relevant to me. Consequently, I had never thought to write a mission statement for the libraries where I work now.

Reading the mission statements for other school libraries left me wondering a little bit. In an elementary school setting, what is the purpose of creating a mission statement? Who is the intended audience? In the schools where I have worked, I have come across only a handful of parents who would search out the library's website in order to read a library mission statement...but there are a handful. There are a few students, also, who would read it, just because I put it up there. Actually, it seems like it would mostly be for myself, to guide myself, an opportunity for reflection on personal goals, to acknowledge that which I am already doing, and to discover directions to improve the quality of services students receive in the library. Ultimately, it would be for the whole community, for any students, parents, teachers, administrators, neighbors, government representatives, researchers, fellow librarians, or students in library sciences, who might benefit from having the purpose of a particular community library being public to that community.

So, the way I am choosing to describe the mission of the modern school library is to create a mission statement for the two school libraries that I run. The two schools are located near one another, have many similarities, and I feel like the mission of the two libraries would be the same--even if some of the goals I have for each site are slightly different.

************************************************************************************

Mission Statement for _____________ Elementary School Library:

To nurture a passion for reading and learning through the introduction of quality resources and instruction.

To encourage staff and students to become effective users of technology and information.

To celebrate the rich diversity of the planet in a space that is safe for all students and staff to inquire, explore, discover, analyze, synthesize, collaborate and create.

***************************************************************************************


Okay, so now after taking a first attempt at a mission statement, let's look back at AASL's 9 Common Beliefs..

1. Reading is a window to the world.

2. Inquiry provides a framework for learning.

3. Ethical behavior in the use of information must be taught.

4. Technology skills are crucial for future employment needs.

5. Equitable access is a key component for education.

6. The definition of information literacy has become more complex as resources
and technologies have changed.

7. The continuing expansion of information demands that all individuals acquire
the thinking skills that will enable them to learn on their own.
8. Learning has a social context.

9. School libraries are essential to the development of learning skills” (ALA).

Re-reading those, I think that I tried to reflect some of the same concepts in the mission statement. I wish I could include all of them, but a mission statement that is too long doesn't work as well. I do feel as if the 9 Common Beliefs are a strong guide in the consideration of the mission of the school library itself. The modern library needs to herald to the community that there is a space where people can learn to use technology to acquire, analyze, assimilate and create knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. Ultimately it is my belief that in schools the primary audience for a mission statement is yourself; what is it you are trying to do at your school? Every thing you do should be somewhat directed to that statement. But that said it is nice to have one if someone asks - why are you doing [x]? You have a reason.

    ReplyDelete